The reason that I wrote this small tips how to install Khmer Unicode in Linux in English but not in Khmer because I could imagine there are people who want to install Khmer Unicode but are unable to read Khmer Unicode not after the installation. I hope it will benefit to those who find it useful. This is one of the things that I usually do…
1) Go to http://www.khmeros.info/drupal612/keyboard to download the driver for Linux
2) The download should be started automatically, and you will be asked to save it in a location. In my case I just saved it in a my desktop.
3) Once downloaded, locate the archive and open it.
4) Extract it to where you can find it later. I put it in the same Desktop
5) Once extract it, you can open your terminal and go to the place where the the driver is extracted. In my case it is in Desktop.
6) To install it, just type : sudo ./install dont forget to provide your password. Everything should be fine just here!
7) Next step, we can install fonts. With the same terminal, type : sudo apt-get install ttf-khmeros
8) Now we need to add a Cambodia keyboard layout. To do that go to the toolbar on the top of your screen and right click on it, you will see “+ Add to Panel”. Click on it.
9) A panel is shown up, locate “Keyboard Indicator” via scrollbar on the right if it is not seen. Once found, click on it and click on “+Add”. To turn the panel off, click on “Close”
10) Here you could see the default Keyboard layout, generally USA for a default installation of Ubuntu on the toolbar. Right clik on, and choose “Keyboard Preferences”.
11) A panel is shown up and choose “Layouts” tab. Click on “+ Add” to add a new layout.
12) In the country, find Cambodia, and everything should be configured automatically. Click “Add” to activate it and close it.
13) Now you can see the Cambodia layout in the layout area. Click on “Close” to close this window.
14) Now you can click on the Keyboard Indicator on the top of the toolbar, to change the layout. You could see “Khm” if you have done things correctly so far
15) Open a text editor, gedit for example. And start typing… Enjoy it.
16) If everything is done correctly, you can read this text the next time you view my blog : ការចែករំលែកចំណេះដឹងនាំមកចំណេះដឹងកាន់តែច្រើន។